Sunday 13 July 2008

Wow its just like being in Tesco's

Ok so I have been doing nothing in particular, I rejected the University / travel companies kind offer of spending a day away on Valaam island for nearly 100 pound - which given that no food or accomodation involved means 100 pound for a coach journey and ferry - am investigating going their next weekend under my own steam.

Whilst doing the above I went on google maps, if you tried to look up petrozavodsk previously you got a brown smudge but it is now a very nice picture. My house is on the East side of Anokhina (just south of Ulitsa Lenina - the main street) where the two photo images join, hence my house kind of appears twice if a little out of focus.

Spent yesterday in Solomonoye to the north of town, nice walk through the woods and picnic and some lovely pictures of brightly painted wooden houses on slopes leading down to the lake, including some of cows in the street. Petrozavodsk is a very modern western city (in a quaint Harrogate esque sort of way) so it was a bit strange to walk to somewhere in 2 and a bit hours that feels like we were in 1908 rather than 2008.

In reply to your post Andy, I have my shoe off as I say this, Nyet, Nyet, Nyet.

Anyway Tescos dont seem to have got here just yet but I think the big Russian chain Sigma is so similar it is disturbing, most of the details of life here are still different from the UK but a walked around Sigma thinking I was in Seacroft center, only when they played No more heroes after Leo Sayer on the piped music did it begin to feel incongrous, oh and they have a big tank of live fish for you to choose from near the exit as well that was a bit different. Lenta by the way (for any supermarket anoraks) is their version of Kwiksave and the Finnish company Stockmans to fill the Beatties / House of frazer niche - but sadly Petrozavodsk doesnt have one yet.

Weather incredibly warm, my Russian is still awfull, but having a great time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Dave just  playing with your mums lap top. Read the menu what the hell are ceps are they very chewy.By the way its time this letterbox was sorted.All the best look after yourself.Regards Les.and Thelma.

Anonymous said...

Can you use your KGB Club card in any of the shops, thanks for the steam engine photo
Steve6201

Anonymous said...

Hello Dave Ive eventually got onto your blog thought you'd be home before I did, sounds like your having a great time. I have to say I thought travelling in India on train was bad but Russia seems to top it! Anyway stay safe and keep enjoying yourself. Take care Michelle xx Hope Ive done this right :o)