Monday 23 June 2008

Solstice (Not) in Murmansk

Sorry to report that I bottled out of the trip - 3 members of my course did go and it would appear the Physcisists tell the truth North of the Artic Circle the sun does indeed remain fully in the sky.

My excuses for bottling it

1) It was a 20 hour journey each way
2) The group decided to just stay out the whole time they were their and not book accomodation
3) they decided to go by what amounts to 4th class - a class lower than I experienced on the journey here. Its known as Hard Class, you have a hard bench to sit on and a wc beetween 2 carriages.
4) I have a recollection of a train journey from Gdansk to Berlin (although we never actually got to Berlin by train) which only took about 18 hours and recall that I might have been a bit tetchy and not altogether good company by the end of the journey.

Still hope to do the Solevetsky Islands (of the Gulags fame) later in the trip.

No comments: