Monday 9 June 2008

2 things everyone knows about the English

I was invited to attend a baptism on Saturday and went to a house party afterwards, I was however amazed to discover that like our stereotype of Rusian eating cabbage their are two things that all Russians believe is true about us.

Firstly we drink our tea with milk - this causes great consternation but I was happy to confirm that most people do indeed drink our tea with milk.

Secondly we at Buckwheat porridge (Kasha) every morning for breakfast - without fail. I don't think anyone at the party believed me when I said that not only did I not eat it every morning but I didnt even know what it was a week ago.

Their then followed a long discussion to the effect of was I enjoying the European Cup without England in it , and arnt Russia doing well winning Eurovision as well as the football.

Its 6 degrees out and apparently it was snowing this morning before I got up. The locals are as put out a I am as apparently this is not normal.

I went to Kizhi Island yesterday (sunday) due to the baptism and will post umpteen pictures of the wooden church once I figure out how too on this strange computer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're keeping busy.

Breakfast sounds delightful...any Burger Kings nearby??!!

I didn't realise how big Petrozavodsk was - just looked at it on google maps..where are you based in relation to Petrozavodsk?

Get some picture on...

trfcyorkshire said...

glad to see your years of misery following tranmere will prepare you for Russia going out early.
Is your tutor Russian? We have 2 girls called the same - 1 Brazillian and 1 Porteugese?

Be good!

Anonymous said...

fybWhat about some piccies of Russian Steam Engines? By the way I shook hands with Prince Charles at SVR 10/6/08 Good Luck

Steve 6201