Thursday 21 August 2008

Dosvedanya Petrozavodsk

Well its time for me to say goodbye to Petrozavodsk I leave on the train to St Petersburg at 11pm this evening and I do feel a slight twinge when I think that I my might not see some of the places or people here again. Having said that I am looking forward to being in Britain again - even if I will be using public transport on a bank holiday monday to get home, hmm.

Went to Kondopoga (Kondopohja) at the weekend and saw in what would be a small town in Britain an enormous "palace of culture"(art gallery, concert hall etc), Ice hockey stadium, and new churches as well as the source of this conspicous wealth which claims to be the largest paper mill in europe, the site of trees being floated across the lake to the mill was really amazing - pictures when I get home.

I had a send off by going to the sauna - which was a new experience, I should perhaps point out that most of the attendees were from Finland and to them the sauna has no dubious connotation like it does in Britain. I thought the first 2 and a half hours were the worst (yes really) but by the end being alternately in a room too hot to breath in and in a cold pool became strangely pleasureable.

Anway thats everything for now I have to buy my host a present which is proving tricky, she doesnt eat fruit or chocalate, doesnt drink alcohol and the house is allready full of plants in nice pots and Vase's which I imagine were presents from previous students who also couldnt think of anything better. I am in St petersburg for a few days and probably wont post again till I am home.

No comments: